    SubjectRe: ppp mru/mtu and ip masquerading
    On Sun, 28 Feb 1999, Alan Cox wrote:

    > > David Miller asked me for some tcpdumps when I first reported it on
    > > linux-kernel over a year ago, which I sent, but he was unable to find the
    > > source of the problem. Toggling ip_no_pmtu_disc has no effect. Sort of
    > > embarrassing that Linux networking has held this bug for so long.
    >
    > The Linux networking traces I've seen with MTU discovery all show it working
    > correctly and faults at remote sites. I have yet to see a single case where
    > the problem is the Linux end with 2.0.x

    The reason I was so suspicious of the problem being at our (Linux) end, is
    because you can reach the site no problem from the masq/firewall box; just
    not from the clients. I was also suspicious because such a large number of
    sites have this problem (though I've since learned not to underestimate the
    potential for mass ignorance. ;) The masq box and the clients are both
    reaching the outside through the same interface and MTU (obviously). The
    problem only occurs with the client. I could be mistaken, but IIRC the
    dumps showed the masq'd client's SYN go out and hit the target, and the
    target response come back and hit the firewall. I don't know enough about
    tcpdump output to see why the response wasn't demasq'd and returned to the
    client. I'm no longer using a modem for Internet access, so I can't test
    it anymore.

    -bp
    --
    B. James Phillippe . bryan@terran.org