SubjectRe: 2.2.2: Freeze (possible kb failure)
On Sun, 28 Feb 1999, Alan Cox wrote:

>The big problem one is with the VM - its quite possible to get a heavily
>loaded 2.2.x box to the point where it has no 8K blocks and thus cannot

You mean that the VM gets fragmented? That could happen on a low memory
machine of course, but I really dubit it's the case of high memory
machine boxes.

BTW, why we are having VM troubles in NFS in 2.2.0 and not in 2.0.36? And
for example the `flush' API of the VFS is been added to accomplish a nfs
need (or a nfsd need?) if I remember well. Why everything was working fine
in 2.0.36 without a `flush' callback? Note, I'm not against the flush API,
it certainly make sense, it's just that I don't understand the cause of
these 2.2.x NFS troubles. Ext2 is working fine as in 2.0.36 for example,
even if many part of the kernel are been changed. What's the major 2.2.x
change that impacted the stability and the performances of NFS? I never
followed NFS development so far so I don't know... Excuse me for these
questions if it's a FAQ (in such case don't waste time giving me an
answer).

Andrea Arcangeli

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.120 / U:0.044 seconds]