    SubjectRe: MOSIX and kernel mods.
    Followup to:  <>
    By author: Richard Stallman <>
    In newsgroup:
    > I'm not surprised that non-free kernel modules have
    > resulted in a big loophole--because the idea is a loophole
    > in the first place. They enable a kernel to support more hardware,
    > at the cost of not being entirely free anymore.
    > The whole package becomes "more useful" by implicitly altering the
    > goal (a free operating system). Now, if we want to achieve that goal,
    > we have a big effort on our hands.
    > Linus, if he wants to, could begin closing the loophole, by attaching
    > more restrictive statements about non-free modules to future kernel
    > releases. There are many different ways this could be done, to close
    > the loophole either more or less.

    Well, yes -- it's a tradeoff. At this point, I would estimate that
    the enabling factor is more important than making the license air
    tight. At the moment, ideological purity is much less important than
    market share, IMO -- I believe the real standoff between a usable
    Linux or continued Microsoft world domination.

    "Linux is a very complete and sophisticated operating system. There
    are, and will be, large numbers of applications available for it."
    -- Paul Maritz, Group Vice President for Platforms And Applications,
    Microsoft Corporation [Reference at:]

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.020 / U:1.408 seconds]