    SubjectRe: MOSIX and kernel mods.
    Date
    Followup to:  <199903010303.UAA22953@wijiji.santafe.edu>
    By author: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
    In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

    > I'm not surprised that non-free kernel modules have
    > resulted in a big loophole--because the idea is a loophole
    > in the first place. They enable a kernel to support more hardware,
    > at the cost of not being entirely free anymore.
    >
    > The whole package becomes "more useful" by implicitly altering the
    > goal (a free operating system). Now, if we want to achieve that goal,
    > we have a big effort on our hands.
    >
    > Linus, if he wants to, could begin closing the loophole, by attaching
    > more restrictive statements about non-free modules to future kernel
    > releases. There are many different ways this could be done, to close
    > the loophole either more or less.

    Well, yes -- it's a tradeoff. At this point, I would estimate that
    the enabling factor is more important than making the license air
    tight. At the moment, ideological purity is much less important than
    market share, IMO -- I believe the real standoff between a usable
    Linux or continued Microsoft world domination.

    -hpa
    --
    "Linux is a very complete and sophisticated operating system. There
    are, and will be, large numbers of applications available for it."