SubjectRe: core dumps on signals
Date
H. Peter Anvin writes:

>>> By author: "Albert D. Cahalan" <acahalan@cs.uml.edu>

>>> This is just wrong: Linux stops if the handler is default on TSTP,
>>> TTIN, and TTOU which is perfectly correct behaviour. If what you had
>>> up there was true, ^Z would kill your process.
>>
>> I know it looks strange, but I tested it. Signals were set to
>> SIG_DFL before the test. By "daemon" I mean the process forked,
>> had the parent exit, and had the child call setsid().
>
> Try again:

Ugh:

Never fork: stop (expected)
One plain fork: exit
Two fork, exit, setsid: ignore

Now that I hate job control...

We still lack a suitable core-dumping signal to use for SIGSYS.
We need this. (We ought to have a core-dumping SIGEMT too.)
We also need to dump core on SIGBUS, SIGXCPU, and SIGXFSZ.

Those that thing we should define SIGSYS and SIGEMT outside the
kernel source on 1/2 the ports have yet to explain how userspace
will make them dump core by default. (and why don't we just remove
those signals from the Alpha and MIPS ports? If they are bad...)

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.054 / U:0.512 seconds]