SubjectRe: TXT Filesystem

On Fri, 26 Feb 1999, vicente aceituno wrote:

> Since I am not a hacker, sorry if this makes no sense.
>
> The fact of having a system's configuration scattered in multiple files
> and directories in /etc makes difficult configuration and multiple
> configuration management.
>
> My idea is to keep all the configuration contents in a file situated in
> /dev, and mount it as a TXT filesystem in /etc.

What's wrong with good ol' tar? You are obviously *not* going to have a
good time directly editing the file in question when something is mounted
from it and for keeping the /etc/ stuff in one file tar is perfectly OK.
Why mount it at all? Keep archive(s) and use tar to update/extract/create
them. No need to touch the kernel (and since files in /etc/ may change
size you are not going to have a good time doing corresponding
modifications to the underlying file on the fly). Why invent Linux-only
hacks when they do not add anything to standard portable solutions and put
extra code into the kernel?

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.040 / U:0.704 seconds]