SubjectRe: RealPlayer

On 26-Feb-99 hetzmail@mail.dream.co.il wrote:
> I probably didn't make myself clear a bit..
>
> There is a patch which lets you use real player 5, so You'll need it
> (anyone care to publish the URL where can we get it?)

That would be:

http://onramp.i2k.com/~jeffd/rpopen/

it's a small source ( < 10k download IIRC) that compiles to a
shared object called rpopen.so. You create a wrapper script for
rvplayer that LD_PRELOAD= 's this shared object.

Arvind Sankar wrote:

>what exactly flunks? I've been running stock realplayer 5.0 downloaded from
>their site on 2.2.2 without trouble so far...
>How do I reproduce the bug or whatever?

rvplayer (on these systems) plays a fraction of a second of a clip, then
fails with "General Error" and on the console there's a message saying that
it couldnt write to /dev/dsp. This first showed up around 2.1.119 or .120.
This happens with all clips...it pretty much doesnt play anything.

With the above workaround, it seems to function okay.

(well it did until I upgraded to glibc-2.1. rvplayer has a dependency on
libg++/libstdc++ 2.7.2, and it looks like most everything dependent on those
two libs has broken. I suppose the old libc5 version might work, or I might
somehow recompile the old libg++. Tho, I've found that that version doesnt
compile too easily...certainly not as easily as 2.8.x.y, and 2.9.0)

Mark Orr
markorr@intersurf.com

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.154 / U:0.392 seconds]