    SubjectRe: Linux Driver - Select Implementation!
    On Fri, Feb 26, 1999 at 02:56:58PM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
    > > When multiple applications issue a select on the same device (driver),
    > > Is there any way to notify only one of the application from the driver?
    > No. The select specification is quite explicit that everyone sleeping is
    > woken

    What would the consequences be of a select-like call which had the semantic
    that only one of the tasks sleeping for that resource was woken (the
    longest-sleeping, perhaps)? (And, probably, all tasks sleeping because
    of regular select()) To my naive mind it sounds like a way to avoid
    the thundering herd problem. Are there unforseen pitfalls in this, or is
    it more a matter of doing something nonstandard, or of the change requiring
    widespread kernel changes?

    \/ Jeff Epler
    This is a good time to punt work.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.039 / U:40.008 seconds]