    SubjectRe: [OFFTOPIC] Re: Linux and NT Workstation 4.0
    On Wed, 24 Feb 1999, Steve Dodd wrote:

    > This, if I remember correctly, is the trick. For some reason, NT's boot code
    > barfs after LILO calls it if the MBR isn't NT's. So install LILO on the
    > superblock of your ext2 partition and mark it as the active partition. So the
    > NT mbr invokes LILO, which can load Linux or the NT boot code as necessary.

    I have used lilo to boot NT SP3 with no problem.

    NT is installed in hda1, lilo in hda.

    # LILO configuration file
    # generated by 'liloconfig'
    #
    # Start LILO global section
    #verbose=3
    boot = /dev/hda
    #compact # faster, but won't work on all systems.
    prompt
    timeout = 300
    default = linux
    vga = normal # force sane state
    linear
    # End LILO global section
    # DOS bootable partition config begins: BOOTS NT
    other = /dev/hda1
    label = other
    table = /dev/hda
    # DOS bootable partition config ends
    # DOS bootable partition config begins: BOOTS W98 ON D:
    other = /dev/sda1
    label = w98
    loader= /boot/any_d.b
    # DOS bootable partition config ends
    # Linux bootable partition config begins
    image = /vmlinuz
    root = /dev/hda4
    append = "ether=9,0,0,0,eth0 console=tty1 ncr53c8xx=nvram:y"
    label = linux
    read-only # Non-UMSDOS filesystems should be mounted read-only for checking
    # Linux bootable partition config ends

    --
    Shaw Carruthers - shaw@shawc.demon.co.uk
    London SW14 7JW UK