SubjectRe: Linux and NT Workstation 4.0
On Wed, 24 Feb 1999, Michael Riepe wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 24, 1999 at 04:28:52AM +0000, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> [...]
> > Basically, the boot= option in LILO should point to your Linux
> > partition (not to the MBR), then after each run of LILO you need to dd
> > the LILO boot sector to a file on your FAT (or NTFS, if you're gutsy)
> > partition that you then specify in your boot.ini (I think it's called)
> > file...
>
> I wrote a little utility a year ago, called ChaiNT. It acts like a boot
> sector on the NT side (i.e. you can enter it in your boot.ini file) but
> replaces itself with the bootsector from one of your primary partitions
> (selectable by number or by partition type). After that, you'll never
> have to copy your LILO boot sector again. Have a look at
>
> ftp://ftp.stud.uni-hannover.de/pub/users/michael/ChaiNT/

I also once wrote a nice utility (LILO loader) which searches all primary
partitions of all harddisks known to the BIOS for LILO, and starts the
first instance it finds. It can be found at

http://www.cs.utwente.nl/~hanssen/liloload/

--
Ferdy T.Y. Hanssen, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Twente
E-mail: hanssen@cs.utwente.nl