SubjectRe: PROBLEM: cdrecord fails with "Cannot send SCSI command via IOCTL" with Kernel 2.2.1

On Tue, 23 Feb 1999, Rainer Clasen wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Daniel SILVERSTONE (D.Silverstone@cs.ucl.ac.uk),
> "PROBLEM: cdrecord fails with "Cannot send SCSI command via IOCTL" with Kernel 2.2.1":
>

> > When I boot with a kernel 2.2.1 I cannot write to the drive at all (not even
> > in dummy mode) due to the error:
> >
> > cdrecord: Cannot allocate memory. Cannot send SCSI cmd via ioctl
>
> you may want to look at D. Gilbert's sg linux page at
> http://www.netwinder.org/~dougg/ he claims his driver doesn't suffer that
> hard under memory fragmentation as the origina does. I can't comment, I
> haven't tested it yet.

I had anounced that I was working on some patch that fixes this problem
and after that, I heared of this problem being currently worked on by
several people. Douglas Gilbert mailed be about his current work on the
problem. I have immediately frozen my work and said him that I left him
complete his work.

People that work on this problem must be aware that linux-2.2 need this
problem to be fixed and that only a clear, short and understandable patch
has chance to be accepted by Linus. So, it is advisable to provide fixes
as needed but not more, in my opinion.

Gérard.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.045 / U:0.096 seconds]