    SubjectRe: IDE Tape Drives
    Hi Juan,

    I have done everything I could do for this drive in the 2.2 series; this
    tape is definitely not standard IDE tape drive, and before the latest
    kernels we couldn't talk to it. We are now in the stage in which we can:

    (1) Issue commands and read the drive's responses.
    (2) perform a short (just a few megabytes) backup/restore.

    (the crash when compiling the module statically in the kernel is easy
    to fix -- the tape only responds with its capabilities when a media
    is inserted and loaded by the drive, and the kernel probably booted
    before that.)

    I believe that we'll get it supported under Linux eventually, but
    this might be a long process.

    Gadi

    > Hi Folks -
    >
    > I am sorry to disturb your kernel development activities but I am having
    > major problems with a Sony SuperStation IDE drive I recently purchased. Is
    > this drive supported by the Linux kernel? Is support for it broken in the
    > 2.2.1 series of kernels? I currently use RedHat 5.2 that has been
    > customized to support kernel 2.2.1. If I compile the IDE/Tape as a loadable
    > module at run time I am able to store and retrieve small amounts of data but
    > trying to store large amounts of data will always result in lots of I/O
    > errors. Moreover, if I compile the IDE/Tape module statically into the
    > kernel and try to backup anything I will immediately get a kernel panic and
    > the whole system locks up solid. At this point I usually end up having to
    > hit the reset button to regain control of my workstation.
    >
    > I had the ftape module working for a while but after I installed this drive
    > I removed support for it. Is there something else apart from ATAPI/TAPE
    > support that needs to be compiled into the kernel for this to work?
    >
    > I really could use some help with this. I have emailed the author of
    > ide-tape.c but have not received any response yet so I figured here was the
    > best place to ask for help.
    >

    > Thank You.
    >
    > Juan Casero
    > Email: casero@bellsouth.net
    >
    > -

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.025 / U:0.676 seconds]