    SubjectRe: fsync on large files
    > I would also suggest that Stephen actually drop ext2 altogether. There's
    > just too much historical stuff in most filesystems - things like having
    > "." and ".." in directories, even though Linux doesn't need them and they

    ext2 is a multiplatform file system. Linux, HURD, BSD, OS/2, RiscOS last
    time I checked.

    > only complicate renaming and loopback mounting a lot. There's also a lot
    > of code to handle concurrent writes etc, which can't happen any more.

    But will need to occur for future scaling.

    > doing a new filesystem, it should be done like "ext2" was originally done:
    > by designing a new one, rather than building more scaffolding on top of an
    > old one.

    Linux has a lot of cruft in it maybe while doing journalling we should throw
    the OS away and rewrite that too ? - I hope Im misunderstanding your argument.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.019 / U:0.704 seconds]