    SubjectOFFTOPIC: Re: PROBLEM: english language

    On Mon, 15 Feb 1999, Brendan Cully wrote:

    > "sic" doesn't stand for "spelling is correct", or even "stated in
    > context" (yech!).
    >
    > In fact, it stands for "yes, I know it looks funny, but that's how I want
    > it". But people got tired of typing Y,IKILF,BTHIWI so they abbreviated
    > it to SIC. Then they got tired of pressing caps lock or shift, as is
    > common on the internet (i see it all the time), and started writing it
    > as "sic".
    >
    > Someone said it was Latin for "thus" or "so", but that's just plain
    > outlandish - anyone who knew Latin could probably take some time to
    > learn to spell too.

    sic (sik, sek) adv. Thus; so. Used in written texts to indicate that a
    surprising quotation is not a mistake and is to be read as it stands.
    [Latin sic.]
    *Definition taken from The American Heritage Dictionary of the
    English Language (1970)

    http://www.seas.ucla.edu/~everett/sic.html

    /Magnus
    majo0625@student.uu.se

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.021 / U:29.848 seconds]