SubjectRe: Possible ld-so bug.

On Tue, 16 Feb 1999, Richard B. Johnson wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Feb 1999, Philip Blundell wrote:
>
> > >Well you installed glibc-2.0.112 over glibc-2.0.111 That's okay! They
> > >have different version numbers. I installed glibc-2.0.7 over glibc-2.0.7
> > >The new one was compiled with a different C compiler. Same version number
> > >different code.
> >
> > Then you will almost certainly come to grief. Modifying a shared library
> > while it's in use is a sure way to disaster. This is one of the reasons it's
> > not recommended for random users to upgrade their glibc.
> >

> Well I've been called a lot of things, but not a "random user" before ;)
> I don't think I should have to recompile all the tools to `static` if I
> wish to rebuild glibc with the "latest-and-greatest" compiler. This
> problem is certainly going to come up again. If the developers of ld.so
> would respond, maybe its as simple as renaming ld.so.cache before
> `make install`.

Ummm if I understand correctly when you install files you don't modify
them. Instead you remove the originals and put the new copy in their
place. So if the library was mmaped to anything the inode that has it
should be retained until all the program using the library have quit.

Right ?

Vladimir Dergachev

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.082 / U:0.564 seconds]