    SubjectRe: fsync on large files
    On Mon, Feb 08, 1999 at 04:57:40PM +0000, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:

    >> Might this be related to my Linux 2.1.131ac10 needing >10sec for deleting
    >> a ~700 MB file on a 4.3GB ext2fs partition?
    >> (during which this partition is blocked - even "ls" stops)
    > No, that's unrelated to fsync. At least part of the rm behaviour is
    > simply due to the huge amount of random-access data which the kernel
    > needs to read in during the delete: on a 1K filesystem there is one
    > block of pointer indirection information for every 256 blocks of file

    this was a 4k block partition. I am thinking of making a md (striping)
    partition out of it, will this help? Or is reiserfs or lvd better in this

    > content, so deleting a 700MB file has to complete nearly 3000 read IOs
    > with a seek between each one just to locate all of the file's data. On
    > any Unix-style filesystem, that will be expensive.

    hm. Can this be done in the background with low priority? I do all rm'ing
    with "&" by now, but can this be automated?

    > Planned for 2.3's btree extensions for ext2 is the ability to compress
    > the indirection information for continuous runs of blocks on disk, which
    > will substantially improve the delete performance for these large files.

    well, I think its a little too early to start thinking about 2.3 - we
    haven't even got everyone addicted to 2.2 yet :)

    Well, are projects like the LVM or reiserfs (or md, for that matter) stable
    enough to try on 'production-like' machines? This one is a LAN server for
    the home LAN and a desktop workstation for my personal use.

    cat /dev/boiler/water | tea | sieve > /cup
    mount -t hdev /dev/human/mouth01 /mouth ; cat /cup >/mouth/gulp

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.024 / U:89.920 seconds]