SubjectPossible ld-so bug.

Kernel gurus:

Warning. If you already have glibc-2.0.6 installed on your
machine, but you decide to build and install it with a later 'C'
compiler, perhaps to improve performance, you just might not
have a workable system after you do this. It seems that
(or something else) gets confused when you install a new version
of the libraries that don't have a new version number.

The fact that `make` and `make test` do not produce any errors
means nothing! `make install` can (read will) destroy your
system. I don't know if the bug is in or in glib-c, but
with a new 'C' compiler, the generated code will have different
offsets which means that new and old libraries can't be mixed.
Somebody (not me) mixes them, the result being a disaster.

I tried to send information to, but they apparently
have shut me off:

setsockopt(3, IPPROTO_IP1, [16], 4) = 0
connect(3, {sin_family=AF_INET, sin_port=htons(25),
sin_addr=inet_addr("")}, 16) = -1 ECONNREFUSED (Connection refused)
There are 24 hours of this at 10 minute intervals.

The symptoms are that every non-static executable seg-faults.
This is not nice. I had to install everything from scratch and lost
a lot of work at home because I didn't have another computer that
I could use to re-mount my destroyed '/' fs and copy my stuff off.

Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.2.1 on an i686 machine (399.77 BogoMips).