       Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 21:35:48 -0800 (PST)
    From: Dan Hollis <>

    You can disable syslogd's syncing by prepending a '-' to the filename:

    I have *destroyed* seagate scsi drives by syslog's fsync'ing too much.
    (A syslog server handling 50 syslog lines/sec on average)

    Well, the patch I posted won't decrease the number of write requests,
    although it might reduce the number of read requests if the system is
    tight on memory and there isn't enough space to keep all of the indirect
    blocks in core at the same time. (If the latter is true, though, then
    your system is probably *really* badly hurting as a result of the
    syslogd's fsync() handling.)

    I agree that if you have a syslog server which is separate from the
    machine actually doing the logging (and therefore the syslog server is
    likely to stay up across whatever problem might cause its clients to
    crash and burn), it makes perfectly good sense to disable's syslogd's
    behaviour of prepending a '-' to the filename.

    - Ted

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.020 / U:3.828 seconds]