    Date (Scott Lurndal) writes:

    > And what percentage of the time does a thread in the same address space
    > get scheduled on a single processor.

    Most Linux systems still run with a single CPU, so I would guess "most".
    At least they cannot be ignored.

    Also lots of apps simply rely on kernel thread for IO context. Aio is
    implemented in glibc using cloned threads. Other programs use them e.g.
    to tolerate paging latencies on mmap'ed files or for sendfile. For that it
    makes sense to have a lot of threads per process on a single CPU, even on
    a big multi CPU machine.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.020 / U:1.936 seconds]