SubjectRe: SIGCONT misbehaviour in Linux
Date
Followup to:  <m3bt81ndng.fsf@localhost.localnet>
By author: Ulrich Drepper <drepper@cygnus.com>
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> Andrea Arcangeli <andrea@suse.de> writes:
>
> > That's not enough to tell what the kernel is doing, maybe they have a bit
> > smarter sleep(1) program. `sleep` can be changed to run nanosleep again if
> > it received -EINTR and `req` is not null. You only have to pass as `req`
> > the `rem` that you got back from the previous nanosleep call.
>
> I ran it under truss, you can do the same. The syscall does not return.

Yes, tracing a program having this effect is not acceptable. I
consider this to be a tracing problem, however. I have seen the same
thing with strace -- in fact, stracing programs that rely on SIGSTOP
is largely impossible.

-hpa