SubjectRe: Linux headed for disaster?
Date
In article <linux.kernel.199912082153.QAA21791@tsx-prime.mit.edu>,
Theodore Y. Ts'o <tytso@mit.edu> wrote:
>the kernel which was installed), we'll be able to have hardware
>manufacturers ship drivers with their hardware in such a fashion that it
>can be easily installed on the user's Linux systems, hopefully no matter
>which distribution or which Linux kernel version (within limits) that
>the user has installed.

If the published interface is stable enough so that you can take a
driver and compile it on any old Linux (which is NOT currently the
case), the published interface is stable enough so you can publish
binaries that will work against any old Linux. If the idea of not
having a published interface is so that the Core Team can obfuscate
the kernel faster than hardware vendors can change their drivers to
keep up, this scheme would go directly against the aims of the
kernel.

____
david parsons \bi/ Not that this would be a bad idea.
\/

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.033 / U:0.004 seconds]