SubjectRe: [linux-fbdev] Re: atyfb with 2.3.30 ond x86
Jeff Garzik writes:
> Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> > Hmm, this means the card wasn't initialized at all. Looks like we'll have to
> > write our own memory probing code for platforms where only one video card is
> > initialized. On PPC, all ATI cards get initialized by Open Firmware.
>
> Another solution is to do a callback to a userspace program like x86emu,
> which can re-init the second card via BIOS. That's what XFree86 does.
>
> Personally I would rather avoid BIOS altogether...

For initializing it is still the safest!
I can only repeat myself: Graphic chipsets have so many
parameters for memory size, memory layout, memory timings
on notebooks: voltages, display properties bus types and
whatever you can think of.
Please tell me how you want to probe all that!!

Do you expect the user to hack all these parameters into
a configuration file? When the user doesn't even know
what chipset is on his board? - if he has done something
wrong he might fry his card or his LCD (notebooks).

Egbert.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.125 / U:0.532 seconds]