SubjectYamaha Sound Drivers
I am wondering on the status of sound drivers for the newer Yamaha sound
chipsets.

I have a laptop with the Yamaha YMF-744B chipset in it. (The Sony Vaio 505ve
to be exact.) Checking the 2.3.30 kernel, I see it is not supported as of
yet. (Unless I am missing something.)

Is someone working on this chipset at the moment? Is it overlooked? Do they
need docs? The current docset for this chip and a number of others can be
found at http://www.yamahayst.com/pcaudio/download/index.htm . The docs appear
to give enough information to do a driver, but I am not certain not having had
to write one.

The chipsets listed on that page are:

PCI Sound Chipsets:
YMF724F
YMF740C
YMF744B
YMF754

Codecs:
YMF752

FM Sound Generators:
YMF289B

Wavetable generators:
YMF721

ISA Single Chip Audio
YMF715E

Audio DAC:
YAC516

Hopefully this information is of some use. I would like to get sound working
on this little box. ("It's waffer thin!") At least to stop badly written apps
with sound from coreing.

I am willing to help test drivers for the YMF744B chipset, if that will help.

Thanks!

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans