    SubjectRe: How is 8-bit character support enabled for the TTY driver

    Guest section DW wrote:
    > On Tue, Dec 07, 1999 at 12:48:34PM -0700, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
    > >
    > So, I understand you are saying that the Linux kernel works fine
    > and your tools fail. That may be. But then why post to linux-kernel?
    > By default all is well. You might check stty (cs8 bit), or the
    > eightBitInput/eightBitOutput resources for xterm, or the settings
    > for your shell or whatever settings are relevant for the environment
    > where you are trying to do your stuff. Some versions of flex require
    > the -8 flag. telnet might require a -8 flag. Etc. There is a HOWTO.

    The bash shell ignores the CS8 parm as well as the ~ISTRIP parm when you
    call tcsetattr. In fact, it does absolutely nothing and the terminal
    still outputs 7 bit characters. Someone at Caldera told me there was a
    TTY ioctl I needed to call to turn it on in "true" 8 bit mode, but I
    think this may have been incorrect. If it's a driver issue it belongs
    here, so I asked -- it that ok? Alan Cox actually has already cleared
    this up, so you were a little late to the party, but thanks anyhow.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.020 / U:2.224 seconds]