SubjectRe: Linux headed for disaster?
> don't get me wrong, I really like Open Source (after all I'm working on it;)
> but I've seen too often that in reality the argument "users might fix
> broken software/drivers" just don't cut -- users too often just wait for
> someone doing the the next release, whether it's binary or free source...

Users can go to anyone they like to get it fixed. It is more than just
"fix it yourself". I can buy Linux from a distributor, hit an annoying problem
they say "we cant fix", and I can email you and say "This bugs me, give me a
quote to fix it"

Its a freedom to get things fixed, changed, improved - and to distribute the
result. In the technical community it was always seen as "fix it yourself"
In the business community it is seen much more as multi-sourced support
and maintenance.

Alan

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.534 / U:0.012 seconds]