SubjectRe: Linux headed for disaster?
* Wichert Akkerman said:
> In article <cistron.E11uj1h-0005I6-00@the-village.bc.nu>,
> Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:
> >and have it build my a SBLive! module for my system and do the dependancies.
> >Ditto for dpkg.
>
> We actually do something like that: we have a script (make-kpkg) that
> will build modules for your kernel and create a nice package for that you
> can install. You run it from your kernel-source dir and it will automatically
> pick up the right kernel version and configuration for the modules.
Precisely. Kendall, what is described above is a real-world example that
binary compatibility is in your hands - and one doesn't have to do anything
with the kernel. Just provide your customers with a script that will detect
their kernel configuration and tools used to compile it, then submit that
to your server that will handle the rest and let them download the compiled
drivers. *Shrug*

marek

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.301 / U:0.228 seconds]