SubjectRe: Can't hardlink in different dirs. (BUG#826)
Hi Andrea.

>> I can definately say that making hardlinks to files in other
>> directories (not owned by the linking user) is a handy feature.

> For what exactly is it an handy feature? I never needed to
> hardlink to a file that I don't own, so you would convince me if
> you would raise good points.

I regularly use this to permit a small group of users access to
certain large programs that insist on being run from ~/bin without
filling up the disk space with multiple copies thereof. Some of them
can detect that they were called via symlinks and refuse to run if so,
but they have no problems with hard links.

Personally, I don't like programs that check where they were run from,
but as an employee, I don't get to choose the programs, only to
install them...

Best wishes from Riley.

* Copyright (C) 1999, Memory Alpha Systems.
* All rights and wrongs reserved.