SubjectRe: CLAPI....pronounced "CLAY PIE" (Re: Binary drivers)

On Sun, 5 Dec 1999, Richard Gooch wrote:

> Andre Hedrick writes:
> >
> > On Sun, 5 Dec 1999, Stephen Frost wrote:
> > > Come up w/ the API. Develop the code. Modify the current
> > > driver set (completely) to this new API. bug-proof it, test it, and
> > > prove that performance doesn't decrease any for any of those drivers.
> >
> > I DID IT and discussed it for about 15 minute with Linus at
> > LinuxWorld. The context of that discussion is closed, but the
> > concerns addressed to me by Linus have be nailed down.
>
> Could you at least let us know if Linus was positive or negative about
> your scheme? If the binary compatibility proponents knew that there is
> something being worked on, and that it stands a reasonable chance of
> being included in the kernel, it would take a lot of the heat out of
> this debate.

"You need to address the potential security issue as it relates to the
kernel stack first, then 'prove it to me'".

Yes there, there was a potenial dangerous exploit if careless.
I believe that it is gone.

Understand that the vendor is required to have minimal exposure on the
IO base and discrete lowlevel points. Yet offer them the legal protection
of their IP under a LGPL.

EVERYONE Stop on the second guessing.......this does not allow or propose
the linking of libraries to the compiled kernel, it is more difficult than
that silly nasty.

Andre Hedrick
The Linux IDE guy

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.049 / U:0.268 seconds]