    SubjectRe: Can't hardlink in different dirs. (BUG#826)

    On Fri, 3 Dec 1999, Pavel Machek wrote:

    > Is not this bug of fuser? I mean, if someone has file opened, should
    > not it be visible by fuser?

    The whole point being that _nobody_ has it opened. It was attached to a
    packet when sender called sendmsg(). That is, set of descriptors passed
    by caller of sendmsg() had been converted into the set of struct file *
    When recvmsg() is called by the receiving side this set is either dropped
    (if caller of recvmsg() didn't expect files sent) or is passed into
    receivers table of opened files. I.e. new descriptors are created and
    files are attached to them. That's how it works. However, it happens only
    when the packet is received. If the process sends it and closes his
    descriptors - well, files are still alive (they are referenced from the
    packet) but they do not belong to any process at that moment. Now, send
    such packet to yourself and never call recvmsg(). And close the
    descriptors.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:4.198 / U:0.060 seconds]