SubjectRe: Binary drivers
Date

> I don't think so. Implementing a binary compatible API usually requires a
> level of indirection that makes optimizations like inlining impossible.

[here it goes, with a possible foot in the mouth ;-)]

Uh, how ?

The header files needs to include for module compilation is identical
for both open source and binary only modules.

Seems like a strawman argument.

Plus code changes that affect modules seems pretty minimal across kernel
revisions. I'm not an authority about this.

> > Solaris, Netware, QNX, BeOS, MacOS or any other commercial OS. Fact
> > is they all use binary device drivers, and many of them are a lot
> > more stable than Linux is.

> .... and a _lot_ slower on the same hardware.

Well, they're alot slower only in different circumstances for reason not
relevant to binary-only module support.

Sounds like another strawman argument here.

bill

> tim writer <tim@starnix.com> starnix inc.

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans