    SubjectRe: Binary drivers

    > I don't think so. Implementing a binary compatible API usually requires a
    > level of indirection that makes optimizations like inlining impossible.

    [here it goes, with a possible foot in the mouth ;-)]

    Uh, how ?

    The header files needs to include for module compilation is identical
    for both open source and binary only modules.

    Seems like a strawman argument.

    Plus code changes that affect modules seems pretty minimal across kernel
    revisions. I'm not an authority about this.

    > > Solaris, Netware, QNX, BeOS, MacOS or any other commercial OS. Fact
    > > is they all use binary device drivers, and many of them are a lot
    > > more stable than Linux is.

    > .... and a _lot_ slower on the same hardware.

    Well, they're alot slower only in different circumstances for reason not
    relevant to binary-only module support.

    Sounds like another strawman argument here.

    > tim writer <> starnix inc.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.026 / U:19.808 seconds]