SubjectRe: Unexecutable Stack / Buffer Overflow Exploits...
On Thu, 30 Dec 1999, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:

[snip]
> It's like putting antibiotics into chicken feed. It might temporarily
> decrease the spread of certain types of bacteria in improperly cooked
> food, but in the long run, the bacteria develop resistance, and then
> we're back where we're started. And you'll notice that scientists have
> made the argument that it's better not to put antibiotics in chicken
> feed if it isn't going to stop the bacteria in the long run. This is a
> similar situation.

No, this is not an approiate comparison. You are intentionally confusing
the issues.

Some attacks are simply NOT possible with the patch, sometimes the binary
does not contain any useful exploitable code.

I give up. This is stupid.

The only reason I ever wanted the patch in the standard kernel is that
it's the only way to insure that it will remain compatible.

It would be a better use of my time to port the patch to 2.3.x then to
continue pounding on this issue.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.051 / U:0.360 seconds]