    SubjectRe: Can't hardlink in different dirs. (BUG#826)

    andrea@suse.de said:
    > On Fri, 3 Dec 1999, Richard Gooch wrote:
    > > [..] I can definately say that making hardlinks to files in other
    > > directories (not owned by the linking user) is a handy feature. [..]

    > For what exactly is it an handy feature? I never needed to hardlink to
    > a file that I don't own, so you would convince me if you would raise
    > good points.

    ISTR I used to (want to?) do this a lot when I had to use boxen I didn't have
    root on, especially Solaris boxen which had nothing useful installed by
    default.

    If someone had already compiled for themselves a copy of whatever program I
    wanted, I prefer to hard link it than symlink it because that way it doesn't
    disappear when they have finished with it, or when their account is removed.

    --
    dwmw2