SubjectRe: Can't hardlink in different dirs. (BUG#826)
On Thu, 2 Dec 1999, Peter J. Braam wrote:

>I think I accept his points, and it's probably not a good idea to put it
>in the VFS.

The nice thing of having it in the VFS is to try to provide the same
semantics to all underlying filesystems. When possible I think we should
make all lowlevel filesystem behaving in the same way.

>this, ie. with changing LINK for Coda, ie. are there known programs that
>can currently work with Coda that will break because we will change the
>semantics of LINK.

I don't like having only coda breaking the semantic. You'll end getting
reports of "program X doesn't work with coda, why?". If you'll break the
semantic in the VFS the program will be fixed ASAP and you'll never get
the report in the middle of a stable kernel.

This is at least my point of view.

Andrea

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.143 / U:0.560 seconds]