    SubjectRe: Can't hardlink in different dirs. (BUG#826)
    In message <Pine.LNX.4.10.9912032047110.902-100000@alpha.random>, Andrea
    eli writes:
    | then. It's a namespace issue. If I put my inode in my directory it must
    | not finish into /tmp after some time by somebody that has nothing to do
    | with me.

    "Namespace issue"? Perhaps you should learn some Unix before declaring how
    its filesystem namespace works.... The primary namespace is <dev,inumber>.
    Directory entries map names to those (dev being implicit), and the only
    reason it's got any restrictions is that you can't write an fsck that can
    cope with e.g. hard links to directories.

    You don't "put" inodes in directories. You link to them --- implicitly by
    creation, or explicitly with the link() syscall --- and unlink from them.
    But inodes are not dependent on directory entries; that's how
    unlink-after-open works to create anonymous temporary files which will stick
    around as long as *any* reference to them (link, open file, current
    directory, etc.) exists.

    brandon s. allbery os/2,linux,solaris,perl
    system administrator kthkrb,heimdal,gnome,rt
    carnegie mellon / electrical and computer engineering kf8nh

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.019 / U:93.652 seconds]