    SubjectRe: Can't hardlink in different dirs. (BUG#826)
    In ens.mailing-lists.linux-kernel, you wrote:
    >The *only* disadvantage of hard links is that people can prevent you
    >from cleaning up when you reach your quota limit. On filesystems
    >without quotas, lusers will just punish themselves as much as you,
    >thus it's a self-correcting problem.
    >
    >So, *IF* you are on a FS with quotas, and *IF* you are working in a
    >hostile environment, *THEN* you should lock off your directories.

    Just my 2 cents, but if your environment is that hostile, you don't even
    need to lock your directories. A simple solution is to modify (or
    wrap) rm in such a way that it truncates the files to size 0 before
    unlinking them. No leak of quota space, no security concern, no need to
    lock one's directory, no need for set[gu]id script, no need for new
    groups...

    Éric Brunet

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.019 / U:31.256 seconds]