    SubjectRe: Can't hardlink in different dirs. (BUG#826)
    On Fri, 3 Dec 1999, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

    > Really it seems nobody cares about the implications of the problem and if
    > nobody needs the change I don't need it either for myself. So probably
    > it's better to put the change in an unofficial patch (for example in the
    > Solar's secure-linux patch with the stack not executable stuff?) so very
    > special cases will have a way to go with linux.

    Actually Solar's patch has something like this implemented, hidden
    behind the {[*] Restricted links in /tmp} config option, but it is even
    more restrictive with hardlinks, it allows only the owner to make
    hardlinks. Since it breaks some software like the mailman mailing list
    manager, I proposed him to allow hardlinks on files with write access, he
    said it still has some security implications but he'd think about it, I
    don't know what happened since...

    --
    Madarasz Gergely gorgo@sztaki.hu gorgo@linux.rulez.org
    HuLUG: http://mlf.linux.rulez.org/