SubjectRe: Can't hardlink in different dirs. (BUG#826)
Andrea Arcangeli writes:
> On Fri, 3 Dec 1999, Richard Gooch wrote:
>
> >What? Having group write on the directory? No thanks.
>
> You can't hardlink a directory.

Duh. I know that. One proposal was to use access permissions on the
directory to determine if hardlinking was allowed. Yuk.

> I'll tell another way that will let you understand correctly for sure.
>
> I want that the i_link of an inode can be changed only by an user that has
> write permissions on the inode. I don't care if the permissions cames from
> the uid/gid/other settings in the inode.
>
> I don't want an luser to increase the i_link of my inodes that he doesn't
> have permission to change, to read to execute and to write.

And I want the opposite: I want any user to be able to make hard links
to my files, without needing write access to the inodes, and without
needing some stupid set{u|g}id binary.

Maybe you work in a hostile environment, but I (usually) work in a
co-operative environment. That usually means no quotas, most
directories readable and executable by everyone and so on.

The changes you propose prevent efficient work in a co-operative
environment. Thus it's a bad idea.

If you really want to stop people from "capturing" your quota space
(which they can't really, they can only prevent you from cleaning up),
then lock your directories away from others! Don't invent more complex
permissions checking (and require privileged programmes to get back
the old, desirable facilty) which isn't needed anyway.

> >AFAICT, the only reason to restrict hard links is to make some FS
> >easier to implement. Personally, I think that's a loss for that
>
> Doing the additional permission check in the VFS won't make things
> simpler.

In that case there's no conceivable reason to change the VFS. Nor any
FS that can deal with hard links.

Regards,

Richard....
Permanent: rgooch@atnf.csiro.au
Current: rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.080 / U:0.640 seconds]