    SubjectRe: Can't hardlink in different dirs. (BUG#826)
    Peter J. Braam writes:

    > Let's just take one step back.
    >
    > Al has successfully pointed out that one should not expect too much in
    > terms of security improvements for my hardlink suggestion.
    >
    > Al additionally gave two reasons, totally unrelated to the security
    > issues, not to implement the link semantics as I suggested:
    >
    > - a very valid, but also dogmatic "it's not Unix"
    > - "don't put policy in the kernel"
    >
    > I think I accept his points, and it's probably not a good idea to put it
    > in the VFS.
    >
    > Coda and AFS have directory ACLs and no file acl's. They could do cross
    > directory hardlinks safely with my proposed change. So we can make this
    > Coda policy.
    >
    > Before doing so, I'd still like to ask once more: is there a problem with
    > this, ie. with changing LINK for Coda, ie. are there known programs that
    > can currently work with Coda that will break because we will change the
    > semantics of LINK.
    >
    > It seems very unlikely since every operation that was previously
    > possible remains possible. Yet, since there are a lot of smart
    > people listening here, I'd like to ask it again before we stop the
    > discussion.

    I dunno about programmes breaking, but I can definately say that
    making hardlinks to files in other directories (not owned by the
    linking user) is a handy feature. Sure, in some (hostile) environments
    you might want to restrict hard links, but in other environments it's
    really handy. Symlinks aren't always the answer.

    Regards,

    Richard....
    Permanent: rgooch@atnf.csiro.au
    Current: rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.020 / U:89.024 seconds]