SubjectRe: Unexecutable stack
Mike Karmyshev <>:
>I've recently played a bit with Solar Designer's patch and it looks that
>it doesn't have any
>significant overhead. Shoudn't it be in the kernel by default(at

I'm in favor of that, and would like it to be a build option. I do understand
that some applications might user executable stack in a valid manner, (things
like matlab?) but most systems would be more secure if the stack were not
executable. Especially routers, firewalls, and dedicated file/print servers.

Where is that patch (pretty please...:)?
Jesse I Pollard, II