    SubjectRe: PCI resource allocation (was Re: Ok, making ready for pre-2.4 and code-freeze..)
    On Mon, Dec 20, 1999 at 11:17:23AM +0100, Martin Mares wrote:
    > We should define a PCI layer function (architecture specific) allowing
    > drivers to ask for assigning of new resources (see the patch below).

    Where's this supposed to get hooked from? In the driver sometime
    long after pcibios_init? This could get really ugly, since we
    might have to re-do pci_set_bus_ranges.

    I would much rather see this sort of thing somehow handled during
    quirks fixup header, as then we don't have to duplicate work.

    > I've noticed pdev_assign_unassigned_resources() being passed min_io
    > and min_mem arguments, but I think we should just adjust resources
    > of the parent bus instead.

    I disagree. At issue is that those arguments are to protect allocation
    on top of "magic" legacy i/o and mem regions. Specific devices such
    as IDE *will* be allocating out of that region.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.030 / U:8.164 seconds]