    Subject[Semi-OT] hot-swapping kernels
    Hello List:
    I believe that the following issue was discussed in the past on this
    list, but I am unsure of its current status.
    Currently, (to my knowledge), one needs build a kernel, and in order to
    use this recently built kernel, one must reboot the computer. Wouldn't in
    be nice to have a system that once a kernel is built, implement the new
    kernel without a software or hardware reboot? And, if there were any
    run-time problems with the new kernel, the system would revert back to
    the previously runnable kernel..I can see some possible problems with
    swapping out a kernel and swapping in another within the same memory
    space in real-time, but has anyone investigated into possible solutions?
    I think that this would be a good project, if it could be done. Any
    system that currently comes to mind, needs a reboot in order to implement
    a kernel change, from Cisco to Linux. With systems that need to remain on
    ~24/7, a "hot-swappable" kernel would be a great solution to decreasing
    down-time. Just an idea. All suggestions, comments, and status are

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.019 / U:19.812 seconds]