    From: water modem [mailto:watermodem@ameritech.net]
    Sent: Wednesday, December 22, 1999 7:12 PM
    To: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
    Subject: Re: [linux-usb] Re: [patch] drivers/usb/usb.c: auto loading of
    USB

    A question tangential to this...
    I have a machine with a USB (Logitech) mouse plugged into a M$ usb
    keyboard
    plugged into a Dell. It is running dual boot RH 6.0 with kernel 2.3.33 (usb
    enabled) and Win98. For RH to work with the keyboard I needed to plug it
    into
    the mouse PS/2 port and USB (the kbd PS/2 port is crushed).

    After a lot of pain I got it running fine in X (gnome). I went home
    leaving it
    at login screen.
    Came back this morning and I couldn't click or type anything but I could
    telnet
    to it. After rebooting, X-Windows no longer worked and I couldn't make the
    mouse work. (linux sees it) I have seen Win98 loose the mouse too. In
    Win98
    I could reset the mouse by unplugging it and re-plugging it. This didn't
    work
    for linux.

    I guess I have a lot of questions here.

    1) why does usb access seem to time out?
    A1. Modules could be removed. I don't know about any USB device timeouts.

    2) how do I make linux see a usb keyboard without the PS/2 plug?
    A2. I don't understand your USB cabling setup. Sounds weird to me.
    That could be why it's not working for long periods of time (why it seems
    to be unreliable).

    3) do I need to do some sort of mknod for the keyboard like I did with
    the
    mouse?
    A3. No.

    4) why doesn't X see the mouse anymore? (do I need to repeat the
    mknod? )
    A4. Don't know. You don't need to repeat the mknod (at least I don't have
    to).

    ~Randy

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.022 / U:31.348 seconds]