    SubjectRe: set_pte() is no longer atomic with PAE36.

    On Thu, 2 Dec 1999, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:

    > Ingo, do we not have a bit of a problem with set_pte() on PAE36-enabled
    > builds now?
    > #define set_pte(pteptr, pteval) ((*(pteptr)) = (pteval))

    hm, looks like we'll have to use cmpxchg8b.

    > would seem to be a problem: the 64-bit write is not atomic. When
    > setting an unused pte, we want the word containing the page present bit
    > to be the last word written. When clearing a pte, though, we need the
    > page present bit to be cleared before we invalidate the high order word,
    > otherwise we're in trouble if another cpu populates its tlb whilte the
    > pte is in an inconsistent (but valid, to the cpu) state.

    yep, right. if you change the PAE clear_pte() to use cmpxchg8b, does it
    fix the boot problems you see?

    > Modifying an existing pte (eg. for COW) is probably even harder: do we
    > need to clear the page-present bit while we modify the high word?
    > Simply setting the dirty or accessed bits should pose no such problem,
    > but relocating a page looks as if it could bite here.
    > Basically, as long as we can assume that another cpu will only ever see
    > a pte with the page-present bit clear or a completely valid pte, all
    > should be fine. Or have I missed something fundamental?

    i think we should definitely update 64-bit ptes atomically, this could be
    especially important for multiple threads mapping/unmapping areas and
    building TLBs. This could also be a security risk. (just imagine half of
    the pte being seen on one CPU and the TLB goes to the wrong place.)

    i think we still have some other problem, but this is a definitive bug i
    believe, yes.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.019 / U:0.292 seconds]