SubjectRe: U2W SCSI problems
Oki, found a motherboard BIOS upgrade (from R2.10 to R2.31). That seems
to have made a BIG difference. Ether the actual upgrade or the fact
that the flashing wiped my option configurations, only changed the
most important stuff (like no BIOS caching, no APM etc).

Now, can I trust that this fixes the problem? The machine is usually standing
on a 2Mbit link 100 kilometers from here, and I can't ask the person that have
the machine standing in the server room to constantly reboot and check the
system.

Currently I'm loading the disks with two (similar) shell scripts like this:

----- s n i p -----
echo "Stressing SCSI channels "
while `true`; do
TEMPFILE=`tempfile -d . -p test.`
dd if=/dev/urandom of=$TEMPFILE count=10000 2>&1 > /dev/null
rm -f $TEMPFILE
echo
done

The directory that dd is writing to, is two. One on sda5 and one on sda1.

Partitioning the third disk now, going to run same script on that partition
to, but can I trust this? Is there any other way to really STRESS the
disks/channels?

--
Panama counter-intelligence North Korea Honduras nuclear Treasury
plutonium CIA supercomputer radar colonel World Trade Center Albanian