SubjectRe: [Fwd: Dual Celery on BP6]
On Fri, 17 Dec 1999, Harold Oga wrote:

> One thing I noticed on my BP6 system with dual 400's was that with a 250W
> power supply I would get lots of APIC errors even at 66MHz and my I/O voltage
> would fluctuate as much as 15%. Once I replaced it with a 300W power supply,
> the voltage smoothed out, and I noticed that I rarely, if ever get APIC errors
> at 66MHz anymore. Another thing to consider anyways.

I am now hearing similar things with respect to power supply issues. Is
it possible that the larger power supply is providing cleaner power which
is improving the situation. While I have not checked the actual power
usage requirements of the BP6 with it running two CPUs at 100MHz FSB, I
have a difficult time believing that (A) the combination needs more than a
250W power supply in the average machine, and (B) an increase of a mere
50W improves the situation.

Unfortunately, I am not an expert on motherboard design, nor on SMP in
general. I do not have the facilities to test or confirm any of these
findings. I have left that to others, but it appears they're a rare
breed. It sure would be nice if ABit could do something to help us out
and answer some questions.

All I know is that I started to worry when I first noticed these APIC
error messages in the log in 2.3.18 (or thereabouts).

Mike.