Subjectavl tree search/update of directory entries.

One more idea about this avl tree design to do directory entry search:

1) the directory entry will have 3 more integers (offset to parent, left,
right node on the disk).

2) For file search in a directory, the first record will be read and will
be compared to the desired filename to find the left/right brance to
continue search. With the offset in the entry, the left/right child is
read. This process repeats until the right match is found. So the search
is done in log(n) time, n is the number of files in the directory.

3) similarly, this is done for update(create new file, delete file,
rename file).

My question: does "rename file" go through kernel? I have a feeling that
rename file does not go through kernel. Or maybe it does.

To view the project: (the project has to be regarded as real LK hacking)
http://www.cnds.jhu.edu/~jesus/418/proj3.shtml

Fei Liu

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.037 / U:0.360 seconds]