SubjectRE: 2.3.34-pre1: chopped boot command line problem
Date
???????  !!!!!!

WHAT? The comments in setup.S (and elsewhere) indicate that the boot
loaders pass up to 2k of command line. Setup.c (back at least to 2.2.12)
explicitly truncates command lines at 255 characters (+ trailing 0). I
didn't stumble across any 80-character limit when scanning LILO.

Is the bottleneck when reading lilo.conf, or the total command line? If the
total command line is limited to 80 characters, we have a real problem
because user-specified memory regions can easily take 20 characters each.
Someone has already inquired about using this option in current code.

I considered the problem bad enough that in my code, I strip all of the mem=
and kmem= commands as the data is being moved into the (historically)
256-byte buffer used by the kernel.

Trying not to panic...

Nathan