SubjectRe: [security] Big problem on 2.0.x? (fwd)
On Wed, 15 Dec 1999, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Dec 1999, Alan Cox wrote:
>
> >o TCP blind spoofing vulnerabilities
>
> Ok, you mean the one that doesn't send RST to the last ACK of the three
> way handshake if it has an ack_sequence number below the SYN-ACK sequence
> number? (so by checking the IP-ID field and counting how many packets are
> been sent on the wire by the server it's possible to guess the SYN-ACK
> sequence number and complete the three way handshake with a spoofed
> address) If I remeber well it's a brainer one liner fix. It should (I
> hope) just be in solar's patches. I completly agree to address this as
> it's violating rfc793.

Yep. This one really should be addressed. I think Solar Designer has a
fix for this one, though.

> >o CLONE_PID needs stopping from user space
>
> Ok.

I'll try to dig up some more on this one (there's probably something in
the mail-log I got from Alan; haven't read everything yet)

> >o Very occasional NFS crashes with "evil packet..."
>
> Hmm "evil packet" is a bit too much generic in order to fix this ;)).

I can only agree. But the mail with the bug-report wasn't very exact.

I can send a copy to you if you like...

> I only care about these three issues. For all other points users should
> upgrade to 2.2.x IMHO.

Of course, I'd like every damn user upgrade to v2.2.xx, if not for any
other reason, to make the bug-finding of v2.2.xx easier (the more people
using it, the faster bugs can be found.)

But there are lot of people (mainly companies) that either won't update
until they have finished evaluating v2.2.xx (somewhere around when we
release v2.4.5 and v2.2.25 or so...), and others that have custom-made
drivers that haven't been forward ported to v2.2.xx yet.

/David
_ _
// David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se> /> Northern lights wander \\
// Project MCA Linux hacker // Dance across the winter sky //
\> http://www.acc.umu.se/~tao/ </ Full colour fire </

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.060 / U:0.064 seconds]