SubjectRe: Supporting Macintosh FinderInfo/Resource Fork in Linux NWFS 2.0
On Tue, Dec 14, 1999 at 01:18:56PM -0300, Horst von Brand wrote:
> "Jeff V. Merkey" <jmerkey@timpanogas.com> said:
> > I'm using the ACS_* characters in ncurses. These map to +=-, etc. on
> > terminals that don't have support for the box characters (an Alan Cox
> > suggestion -- excellent one at that). Folks were right about the 8 bit
> > stuff, it's a char set mapping problem, and the console is putting out
> > the **wrong** 8 bit characters for line drawing. It's a shame that
> > ncurses is dumb and doesn't detect this and switch to cp_437 during
> > initscr().
>
> You got me there. How is ncurses supposed to find out what (if anything)
> appears on screen when it outputs <random byte>?

It can not unless you keep track what font encoding is loaded.
Please keep in mind that font loading is more or less unique to Linux
(several other PC Unices support this, but most really don't use it),
while NCURSES is a portable library implementing the XPG4 curses API.

Yours,
Dominik Kubla

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.343 / U:0.104 seconds]