SubjectRe: Bash Issues
Hi Jeff.

>> ASCII is 7bit. I think you mean the PC character set non standard...
>> I think ALTCHARSET gets you the PC characters (cp437 is it ?)
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> I think this is where the communication breakdown occurred, our
> use of the "ASCII" term. In PC lingo (and in all PC based
> literature since about 1986 on the subject), ASCII is assumed to
> be the PC character set for those of us from the "DOS/Windows
> world".

I hate to disappoint you, but I've been working as a professional
programmer for the last 22 years, since before the IBM PC was even
released, and I have *NEVER* heard the PC character set referred to as
ASCII by anybody. IBM always refer to it as "IBM Character Set #2" and
even Microsoft always referred to it as "the PC Character Set" prior
to their introduction of code pages.

> To unix folks, "ASCII" means something different -- a richer and
> more specific definition as to what this refers to (which is why
> I and some unix folks seem to talk past each other on this
> topic).

To ANY serious programmer, ASCII has only ever had one meaning, which
is the ANSI X3.4 standard published in 1968, long before the IBM PC
reared its head. For details, refer to...

http://czyborra.com/charsets/iso646.html

Best wishes from Riley.

* Copyright (C) 1999, Memory Alpha Systems.
* All rights and wrongs reserved.