    SubjectRe: Per-Processor Data Paget
    > (Scott Lurndal) writes:
    > >
    > > And what percentage of the time does a thread in the same address space
    > > get scheduled on a single processor.
    > Most Linux systems still run with a single CPU, so I would guess "most".
    > At least they cannot be ignored.

    And of course a per-processor datapage is not necessary nor
    required on a non SMP system, right?

    > Also lots of apps simply rely on kernel thread for IO context. Aio is
    > implemented in glibc using cloned threads. Other programs use them e.g.

    There are additional forms of aio (much lower overhead) that don't rely
    on threads.

    > to tolerate paging latencies on mmap'ed files or for sendfile. For that it
    > makes sense to have a lot of threads per process on a single CPU, even on
    > a big multi CPU machine.

    Of course, but on a big multiCPU machine, it is not probable that two
    consecutively dispatched threads will be from the same address space.

    > -Andi

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.019 / U:6.256 seconds]